How Can I Get Involved?As a member of Impact Grants Chicago, you are encouraged to choose your level of involvement. Sharing the gift of your time, talents and experience is a valuable contribution to our organization. Additionally, members who volunteer can enrich their experience and connect with other members.
There are several ways you can help:
- Join a Grant or Financial Review Committee
- Sign Up as a “One and Done” Volunteer
- Become an Ambassador
- Join a Workgroup
- Share your Professional Expertise
Join a Grant or Financial Review CommitteeOne of the unique aspects of the Impact Model is the opportunity for members to become involved in the actual vetting of the grant applications by serving on a Grant Review or Financial Review Committee. It is the role of these member committees to select the finalists who will present to the entire membership at the Grant Awards Celebration.
Grant Review Committees (GRCs) There are eight Grant Review Committees that evaluate the grant applications from the nonprofits. Some GRCs are completely virtual, but most have a combination of virtual and in-person meetings. The committees meet once a month in January, February, March, and May to review the grant applicants and select the ones that move forward in our process. In mid-April, group members will attend three site visits. You can choose your meeting group based on the time and day of the week that works best for you. No experience or expertise is required; virtual training is provided prior to the first meeting and materials are available to explain each step in the process.
Financial Review Committee (FRC) There is also a Financial Review Committee that works with the Grant Review Committees to make sure the nonprofits moving forward are financially sound. The members have one training meeting in early February and perform their reviews in February and March. They attend two virtual committee meetings, and have the option to attend site visits in April and the Grant Review Committee's finalist selection meeting in May. Virtual Training is provided but financial statement analysis experience and working knowledge of Excel is required.
Sign-up for these committees takes place online in early January. More information will be provided to members by email at that time. Anyone planning to be on a Grant Review or Financial Review Committee must sign up to be a member and be paid in full by December 31. If you have any questions regarding Grant Review or Financial Review Committees, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign Up as a “One and Done” VolunteerBecoming a One and Done volunteer is an easy way to meet other members and contribute whenever you have time. We keep a list of volunteers who may want to help at events, complete small projects (name tags, mailings etc.) or host one of our Pop-Up Neighborhood walks. We will refer to the list of names whenever we need a few helpers or a walk leader. You can also volunteer to help at a specific event you plan to attend by emailing the volunteer coordinator listed when you sign up to attend. To get on our One and Done Volunteer List or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Become an AmbassadorAs a returning member, you can volunteer to become an Ambassador and share your passion for our organization by helping to onboard women who are new to Impact Grants Chicago. We want each new member who joins Impact Grants Chicago to feel welcome, informed and empowered as we help them choose their level of participation and learn about our mission. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to become an Ambassador.
Join a WorkgroupThere is much that happens behind the scenes to keep Impact Grants Chicago running efficiently. Your background and experience can provide a meaningful contribution to a Workgroup. Board Directors lead Workgroups to focus on various projects throughout the year. Joining a Workgroup is a great way to learn more about our Board of Directors and operations. Available Workgroups are:
- Event Planning
- Grantee Engagement
- Membership Engagement
- Technology Support
- Corporate Development & Relations
Share your Professional ExpertiseFrom time to time, we call upon our members for their professional advice. If you are willing, please notify us if you have access to or expertise in any of these areas. Doing so will not obligate you as a volunteer, nor does it guarantee that you will be called. We truly appreciate your support.
- Accounting & Finance: Assist with the collection and reporting of financial data and/or occasionally help with accounting questions.
- Legal: Provide legal assistance when the need arises.
- Communications: Help compose and/or edit our newsletters, website and annual report.
- Event Space: Donate office, home or event space for various meetings and events.
- Graphic Design: Design graphics and layouts for various online and print materials.
- Photography and Videography: Take photos and videos of our events.
- Public Relations: Share your PR expertise to promote Impact Grants Chicago.
- Social Media: Post photos, graphics, and information to our social media platforms.
- Software Evaluation: Help with strategic technology evaluations and decisions on new or existing data management systems.
- Technology/Report Writing: Provide technical guidance on our databases and software.
- Website Design: Assist with website design and content updates.